EndNote: adding and marking up PDFs
Add PDFs atuomatically
- Open Athena and then EndNote.
- Select the references to which you want to add a PDF.
- Click "References" > "Find full text" > "Find full text". OR right-click and select "Find full text".
- EndNote will now look for PDFs Ghent University has electronic access to and add …
It is possible to add the same (filled out) field to multiple references at the same time. This is a handy feature when you want to add the name of database your references come from or if you want to add tags like "read," "to read," etc.
Before you do …
Advantages of citing while you write
- You don't forget to cite sources.
- You put the footnotes in the right places.
- You save time looking for the right source after writing your article.
- You can automatically update references.
- You can adjust reference styles easily.
Insert a footnote
EndNote: how can I update or edit references?
To mannually edit a reference, simply select the reference and edit in the right-hand column.
If you want to manually edit a reference, you:
- Open EndNote via Athena.
- Select the reference you want to edit.
- In the right-hand column, you can edit the reference in the tab …
EndNote: how do you share your library?
You can share (parts of) your EndNote desktop library with up to 99 colleagues or peers.
Back up your library
Make an online EndNote account
- Make an online EndNote account by registering here
- Use your UGent e-mail account so EndNote recognises …
EndNote: how to add and delete references
Once you have uploaded all your references into your EndNote library, you can delete duplicate references and add references manually. You can also edit them manually or automatically.
Read this tip to learn about importing references from databases.
Add a reference manually:
- Open Athena and EndNote.
- Click …
You can create groups in EndNote to structure your citations. There are three different groups:
- a Group: you can add citations manually;
- a Smart Group: citations are added automatically;
- a Group Set: a cluster of (Smart) Groups.
If you want to create a group to which you can …
EndNote: how to create a library
1. Open EndNote via Athena
If you've never used Athena on this device before, install the Citrix client: https://helpdesk.ugent.be/athena/en/ica.php
2. Click in EndNote on File > New
3. Save the library on your H:Drive, preferably in a separate folder
An .enl file and …
You can back up your EndNote library by making a Compressed Library.
When you incorporate your EndNote library (.enl file) and your associated data folder (.data file), you create a Compressed Library. It is a smaller file than the .enl file and .data file combined and can be easily stored …
There are two ways to import a Mendeley library into EndNote.
Open your Mendeley library.
Click File > Export All > RIS - Research Information Systems (*.ris).
Save the file.
Open your EndNote library.
Click File > Import > File.
A pop-up window appears. Choose the file you just …
EndNote: importing references
You can import references into EndNote from many different databases. In the clips below, we explain how to import references from the four most commonly used ones: the library's catalogue, Web of Science, Scopus, and Google Scholar.
Web of Science
Click here for the Research tip on how to …
EndNote: importing references from Web of Science
You can import up to 500 references at the same time from Web of Science into your EndNote library.
To do this, enter your search query > click "Export" > click "EndNote desktop"
You will see a pop-up where you can enter the amount of references you want to …
You can personalise the fields in EndNote in two different ways.
You can choose which reference type is your preferred default, e.g: Journal Article. You can also choose which fields a certain reference type needs.
- Open EndNote via Athena
- Click Edit > Preferences, click on the tab "Reference …
"Traveling Library" refers to the citations that are embedded in a Word document. You can:
- Send the Traveling Library to your publisher, alongside your manuscript
- Export the Traveling Library from a Word document of a colleague
Export a Traveling Library
- Go to Word via Athena
- Open your paper either via …